Friday, July 18, 2008

Whitesnake-Good To Be Bad


Record Label: Geffen
Track Listing:
01. Call On Me
02. Can You Hear The Wind Blow
03. Best Years
04. All I Want All I Need
05. Good To Be Bad
06. All For Love
07. Summer Rain
08. Lay Down Your Love
09. A Fool In Love
10. Got What You Need
11. Til The End Of Time
Good To Be Bad is Whitesnake’s eleventh studio album, and their first album since 1997’s Restless Heart. Considering how, god damn, awful Restless Heart was compared to how very good this album is, taking an 11 year break was just what the band needed.
Considered by most as washed up and has-beens, Good To Be Bad sees Whitesnake return to form. Reaching #6 on the U.K charts within its first week, Geffen is now hoping for a #1 hit. That’s not bad for a band that’s only aim was to hit the Top 40.
For a band that has been around since 1977, and who haven’t had such a major hit on their hands since 1987’s (Also known as Whitesnake) Here I Go Again, this is quite a coup. In fact it’s one most fans probably wouldn’t expect.
I confess after hearing Restless Heart I was dragging my feet on listening to this album, From the first riff and familiar husky sound of David Coverdale, I was floored. Floored, but very very excited.
The lineup is much different from its earlier days and the departure of Guitarist Adrian Vanderberg left me wondering if anyone could truly compete with his blistering riffs and the imprint he left on Whitesnake.
However in hearing Best Years, and a Fool In Love Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich left no do doubt in my mind that they are worthy of taking the place of Vandenberg.
In fact, the blistering licks on this album leave me to believe that Coverdale knew exactly what he was doing by teaming up Aldrich and Beach.
New drummer Chris Frazier and bassist Uriah Duffy provide the perfect beats and rhythms that the band needs and what can you say about Coverdale? There’s no denying that time has changed his voice, and perhaps he can’t hit the notes quite as well, but there’s also no denying that he’s still got it.
The only time that you can perhaps the faults in Coverdale’s usually flawless vocals is on Summer Rain. A thrill about this album is that, in taking a break for 11 years, the band has managed to step back in time to their glory days.
Think Slide It In and 1987 more than Slip Of The Tongue. There’s still much sexual innuendo, but it’s layered between substance and well-written lyrics. Kudos also goes to Aldrich for his lyrical contributions.
Good To Be Bad has gone from one I dragged my feet on listening to, to one that’s been on rotation since I first listened to it.
There’s no doubt that Whitesnake show all their critics that they’ve still got it, and tracks Best Years, Call On Me, Good To Be Bad and Lay Down Your Love are classic Whitesnake, and must listens.
Hard Rock and Metal bands making a comeback? Well, if they all sound as Whitesnake’s Good To Be Bad, I say bring them back.
I give this 4/5

No comments: