Friday, July 18, 2008

Backstreet Boys-Black and Blue


The Backstreet Boys-Black and Blue
Year: 2000
Record Label: Jive
Track Listing:
01. The Call
02. Shape Of My Heart
03. Get Another Boyfriend
04. Shining Star
05. I Promise You
06. The Answer To Our Life
07. Everyone
08. More Than That
09. Time
10. Not For Me
11. Yes I Will
12. It Is True
13. What Makes You Different?
14. How Did I Fall In love With You?
15. All I Have To Give To You (Acapella)


Black and Blue was my introduction to the Backstreet Boys. Previously, I had admitted my loathing for all boy bands, since I had been forced to grow up with New Kids on the Block.


But surprisingly, the first song I heard of this album, 'Shape Of My Heart', intrigued me enough to go out and buy this album. I will admit that 2000 was a weird year for me, as I also decided to like Britney Spears after previously loathing her music. But that’s a whole different story.


The Backstreet boys really hit the music scene with their second album Millennium, and it was thought they couldn’t do any better than that, but Black and Blue really is a worthy successor, and the boys show us a more mature sound.
As with most boy bands around this time-
N Sync, 98 degrees, and of course the BSB, this album is riddled with upbeat tempo pop, but the boys do manage to bring a heavier R and B beat to some of their music, including the very catchy, 'Shining Star'.


One of the things I do love about this album is that the BSB don’t try to be anything that they’re not. The melodies work well, and the soppier songs such as, 'Shape Of My Heart', 'I Promise You','How Did I Fall In Love With You'and 'What Makes You Different?' are all songs to woo their female teenage fans.
And it works. The tunes are catchy, and will appeal to the romantically hearted, who still believe men like this exist.The BSB are the King of Ballads, and they know how to work them, which is probably another reason that there are more ballads on this album that pop songs.
I’m not saying there aren’t songs that you can’t bop along to- 'The Call',, 'Everyone', 'Get Another Boyfriend', and 'Shining Star'are heavier tracks to dance to. This CD will appeal for those who like the soft pop melodies that the BSB are well-known for.
Guys, this is not the CD for you.
Favourite songs on this cd? 'The Call', which reportedly is a send up of one of Britney’s track, from her 'Oops' Cd that came out at the same time.
Other amazing tracks: 'Shape Of My Heart', 'I Promise You', 'Everyone', 'What Makes You Different?', and 'How Did I Fall In Love With You?'
Probably the best stuff I have heard from the BSB. But for those who want to explore the band further, it’s worth checking out the talent of the band’s solo album- Nick Carter.
I give this 4/5

No comments: