Friday, July 18, 2008

Rodney Atkins-If You're Going Through Hell


Year: 2006
Record Label: curb

Track listing:
01. These Are My People
02. About The South
03. Watching You04. Cleaning This Gun
05. In The Middle
06. A Man On A Tractor
07. Wasted Whiskey
08. Invisably Shaken
09. Angels Hands
10.If You're Going Through Hell
I purchased this CD after hearing the song, 'Watching You', and I have to say I was impressed by it. From the beginning of the album, this album really sucked me. It’s not hard to tell from the first song that East Tennessee native, Atkins is proud of his heritage and where he comes from.
I think the choir-style chorus works very well for the about the south, and it is a real toe-topping song.
The most enjoyable song on this album though is the song, 'Cleaning This Gun'. It really made me smile, as it’s a song about a guy realising that his little girl is growing up and his worrying that she will meet the type of boy that he used to be.
It’s every father’s nightmare, and the perfect revenge. The song is sung with humor, and a real gem on this album.
'Watching You', is another gem, and is a #1 hit for Atkins. A song about his son imitating him, and the clear messages we should be careful about what we do lest our children think it’s the right thing.
Atkins reminds me of Tim McGraw. Refreshingly honest, tongue in cheek, proud of who is he is and who he comes from.
It’s pure country from the first beat to the last.I’m looking forward to hearing more from Atkins, and it’s a nice introduction to a fine country singer.
I give this 4/5

No comments: