Friday, July 18, 2008

Pink-I'm Not Dead


P!nk- I’m Not dead

Year: 2006
Record Label:
La Face
Track Listing:
01. Stupid girls
02. Who knew
03. Long way to happy
04. Nobody knows
05. Dear Mr President
06. I’m not dead
07. Cuz I can
08. Leave me alone (I’m lonely)
09. U and Ur hand
10. Runaway
11. The one who got away
12. I got money now
13. Conversations with my 13 year old self
14. Centrefold
15. fingers
16. I have seen the rain (featuring James T Moore)
In 2000, a controversial and exciting new singer named P!nk hit the charts with her debut album, Can’t Take Me Home. Everyone wanted to take her home, and she knew it. In 2006 she released I'm Not Dead, which can easily be called her best album yet.Hitting the charts with her first single, ‘Stupid Girls’ an anthem for strong women around the world.
P!nk uses the single to take a swipe at the likes of Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson and all those wanna-be celebrities looking for their 15 minutes of fame.It also sends a message about the worrying increase of celebrities with extra-thin bodies. From the view of someone who suffers from an eating disorder, ’Stupid Girls’ is a refreshing song that shows that we don't have to be obsessed with being super thin.
And P!nk doesn’t stop there. She takes a swipe at George Bush in 'Dear Mr President'. It’s a song that really grabs you, and features the Indigo Girls. Singing, "How do you sleep while the rest of us cry”, “how can you say no child is left behind, we’re not dumb and we’re not blind, they’re all sitting in your cells, why you pave the road to hell” and “I can only imagine what the first lady would say, you’ve come a long way from whisky and cocaine”, P!nk really hits home while questioning Bush's views on sexuality, war, drug abuse and homelessness.
Without a doubt it’s one of the best songs on the album, and not just because it comes straight from the heart but due to its strengths both lyrically and vocally.
“Long Way To Happy” is an angst song about heartbreak that shows shades of Janis Joplin and Joan Jett.
For those looking for a ballad, 'Who knew' fits into that mould nicely, and is about lost love.'Cuz I can'is probably the heaviest song on the album, and for me has shades of Marilyn Manson’s 'Tainted Love' running through it.
Slightly more explicit with the lines, “I’m fucked because I live a life of sin” this song really stands out. It has a great beat, and more than a hint of rebellion about it.
'Conversations With My 13 Year Old Self' is a touching dear me letter to herself when she was 13. It tells the story of what she knows now and what she didn’t know then.
P!nk doesn’t just tell us how she feels, and what she thinks in her music, she slams us over the head with it. But it’s worth it.
I don’t think there is one song on this album that isn’t worth listening to.
One thing I really love about this album is that Pink seems to be able to slip into any genre. Punk, R and B, pop, hard rock…she does it all and she does it very well.
Pink’s song writing skills have strengthened over time, and this is obvious with lyrics, that were just meant to be played over and over again ('Dear Mr President', 'Stupid Girls' and 'Cuz I Can').
She really bares her soul on this album and casts done the hammer, daring people debate her opinions.
Favourite songs on this album, 'Stupid Girls', 'Dear Mr President', 'I’m Not Dead', 'Cuz I Can' and 'Leave Me Alone'.
And for those who can, I suggest getting the U.K version of her album, which has two extra tracks – 'Centrefold', another brilliant, cheeky song and 'Fingers'
P!nk’s definitely back, and ready to show everyone she's not dead.
I give this 5/5


No comments: