Friday, July 18, 2008

Mindy McCready-Ten Thousand Angels


Year: 1996

Label: BMG

Track Listing:

01. Ten Thousand Angels
02. Guys Do It All The Time
03. All That I Am
04. Maybe He’ll Notice Her Now
05. A Girl’s Gotta Do
06. Have A Nice Day
07. It Ain't A Party
08. Without Love
09. Tell Me Something I Don’t Know
10. Breakin It

Mindy McCready’s debut album is a real gem. I don’t know how many times I have shaken my head and told myself that I really need to listen to it more often- probably every time I hear it.

It’s one of those albums, you pop into the CD player and all of a sudden remember why you used to love it so much.The album is a mixture of upbeat tempos and ballads, and the track guys do it all the time, went to #1.

The track is about playing turnabout with a guy’s excuses and it’s a great track.A particular favourite of mine is the track A Girl’s Gotta Do', which is about a broken hearted girl putting on her best dress and hitting the town rather than spending the night crying her heart out. Since I’m one of those girls who would rather put on a strong front rather than mope around, I can relate to this song, and it hits home.


It’s easy to see through this album the promise that Mccready showed, and unfortunately did not make a reality. She’s one of those artists that started out strong, but unfortunately got lost within her own battles.


Nevertheless this album, with tracks such as 'A Girl's Gotta Do', 'Maybe He'll Notice Her Now', and 'Guys Do It All The Time' is a real winner.


The album, while it has a county feel, came at a time where new country was emerging and the likes of Shania Twain, and Faith Hill were showing themselves as real contenders.

It’s a shame Mindy could not do the same.

But this is probably her best album.


I give it 4/5



No comments: