Friday, July 18, 2008

Fergie-The Dutchess


Record Label:Interscope Records
Year: 2006
Track Listing:
1. Fergalicious (Featuring Will.I.Am)
2. Clumsy
3. All That I Got (The Make Up Song) Featuring Will.I.Am
4. London Bridge
5. Pedestal
6. Voodoo Doll
7. Glamorous (Featuring Ludacris)
8. Here I Come
9. Velvet
10. Big Girls Don’t Cry
11. Mary Jane Shoes (Featuring Rita Marley & The I-Three’S)
12. Losing My Ground
13. Finally
14. Get your hands up (Bonus)
15. Wake up (bonus)
16. Paradise (Bonus)

Was it a big surprise to anyone that Stacey Ferguson AKA
Fergie decided to realise a
solo album? I mean let’s face it that’s just what anyone in a world famous band, with strong vocals and vamped up sex appeal does right?

Firstly let me ask you- Does the cover art of the album just seem a little too reminiscent of a
Lil Kim album?
The covers seem almost identical if looking at them side by side. Same pose, almost the same lingerie, and same supposedly sexy look.

Produced by
Will.I.Am, this debut solo album by Fergie is better than I thought it would be. At first thought I expected the whole album to be nothing more than R and B, and funk pop, but surprisingly Fergie actually can sing, and behind that sexed up façade is a strong vocalist.
The album isn’t just about hip hop and funk, although it has it’s fair share of it, with the already well-known, 'London Bridge' as well as 'Fergalicious', 'Clumsy', 'Voodoo Doll'and 'Mary Jane Shoes', although the last two songs mentioned are more reggae than hip hop.
But mixed in with these tracks are some slower tracks, in which I think Fergie really does shine. Instead of her usual hip hop style of singing, she actually sings.
Tracks that really show her versatility, and a softer side of Fergie include 'Big Girls Don’t Cry', 'All That I Got', 'Losing My Ground'and 'Finally'.
One of the things I do admire about Fergie is that she throws caution to the wind, and songs that start off hip hop turn into wold rock beats. It’s almost as if she can’t decide which genre to go with, but it works at the same time.
Lyrically, she is at her weakest, although she tries her best.
One interesting song was 'Here I Come', which was a sample of The Tempation's, 'Get Ready'. The first time I heard it, I loved it. Being a huge Temptation’s fan, I was surprised to find that I loved what Fergie did to the song. Simply brilliant.
Best songs on the album, “London Bridge”, “Here I Come”, “Finally”, “Pedestal”, and “Big Girls Don’t Cry”.

No comments: