Friday, July 18, 2008

Prince- The Hits 1


Record Label: Paisley Park

Year: 1993
Track listing:
01. When Doves Cry
02. Pop Life
03. Soft and Wet
04. I Feel For You
05. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?
06. When You Were Mine
07. Uptown
08. Let’s Go Crazy
09. 1999
10. I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
11. Nothing Compares To U
12. Adore
13. Pink Cashmere
14. Alphabet St
15. Sign o’ The Times
16. Thieves In The Temple
17. Diamonds and Pearls
18. 7
I’m not an enormous fan of Prince, but I’m smart enough to know that he's probably one of the most talented songwriters and musicians of our time.
My first experience with Prince was in the eighties, and hearing 'When Doves Cry' for the first time. It got me hooked, and aided in my appreciation of music.
This Hit package probably highlights the sexual tracks of Prince and chronicles his hits from 78-1993.
There’s nothing particularly special for the die-hard Prince fans, but for newcomers to his music, it is a delight.
It has some of his Greatest Hits on it, starting with 'When Doves Cry', and ending with his newer music of that time, '7'.
One of the things you do have to admire about Prince is that he has packaged a CD that shows how much his music has progressed, and developed in the past 15 years. Definitely one that should be in your collection if you grew up on Prince, but for those who already own all his albums, then it’s not so worthy.
Personally it’s one I could not do without in my collection. With the classic tracks of 'When Doves Cry', 'Let’s Go Crazy', '1999', 'Sign O The Times', and his newer music 'Thieves In The Temple', 'Diamonds and Pearls' and '7', it is a real gem.
One thing that should also be noted about Prince is that his song 'Sign O The Times'was done at a time when AIDS was still only just being talked about.
Prince gave us a politic statement that seemed an unsafe choice for a single but one that worked out well.
I give it 4/5
Prince-Little Red Corvette (Live)


No comments: