Friday, July 18, 2008

Mindy McCready-if I don’t stay the night

Mindy McCready-if I don’t stay the night

Year: 1997

Record Label: BMG
Track listing:
01. what if I do
02. this is me
03. if I don’t stay the night
04. cross against the moon
05. for a good time call
06. oh romeo
07. the other side of this kiss
08. you’ll never know
09. fine art of holding a woman
10. only a whisper
11. long, long time

Mindy McCready’s sophomore album is one of my favourite albums. Although it’s not her best, it’s the one that probably shows a maturity to her music and a strength that can not be denied.

This was supposedly the first crack in the fairytale relationship between Mindy and her record label, with the label dissatisfied with her song choices, and it showed, with the panning the critics gave it.

The first single, what if, which is a song about a woman struggling with the decision to succumb to her desires or stay true to herself, barely made the top 30 and in total only had two real hits.

One of the things I like about this album, is while her debut album was about role reverses, and heartache, this is about real issues and real relationships and really worked for Mindy.

The haunting track cross against the moon, is probably one of the defining moments on her album, and it’s one of those tracks that is hard to forget.
It tells the tale of a woman’s dreams, her rebellion and her decision to turn her back on her father’s beliefs to fight for her own dreams.

This album is a mature step for Mindy, and although it was one that didn’t seem to critically work well for her, it was a step away from the dumb blonde that seemed to generate around her.

It’s as real as it gets.

I’d highly recommend this album.I give it 4/5

No comments: