Friday, July 18, 2008

Dolly Parton-Backwoods Barbie


Dolly Parton-Backwoods Barbie
Record Label: Dolly Records/A2M Distribution
Year: 2008
Track Listing:
01. Better Get To Livin’
02. Made Of Stone
03. Drives Me Crazy
04. Backwoods Barbie
05. Jesus and Gravity
06. Only Dreamin
07. The Tracks Of My Tears
08. The Lonesomes
09. Cologne
10. Shinola
11. I Will Forever Hate Roses
12. Somebody’s Everything


The original country blonde bombshell , Dolly Parton, is back with her latest album, Backwoods Barbie. Her most commercial album in a long time, it sees Dolly departing from her experimenting with pop, bluegrass and heading back to her country roots.

I’m the first to admit that I am a bona fide Dolly Parton fan. I have been since I was 8 years
old and discovered in the same day the wonderthat is The Beatles, 'Yesterday' and Dolly’s 'Jolene'.

That doesn’t mean I haven’t cringed at some of the musical choices that Parton has made over the years, but this time is not one of them.
Backwoods Barbie sees Parton return to form, although, it’s not, without some debatable song choices. I still can’t stop myself cringing every time I hear Dolly’s version of
'Drives me crazy'. No matter how great a singer Parton is, her cover of the song comes of as disco cheesy.

Having said that, there are some stellar performances on this album, including the title track, 'Backwoods Barbie', which in sound is eerily familiar to one of her biggest hits, 'Coat of Many Colors'. One of the biggest selling points about Dolly is that her songs- give or take a few dozen, are simple songs with no-frills tracks. Another selling point is that she’s not afraid to make fun of herself, and people’s perception of her.

The title track 'Backwoods Barbie' see Dolly take the perceived dichotomy of people and her image and turn it into a brilliantly written song. While it’s an autobiographical tune in which she describes wanting to turn herself into Barbie, it also conveys to look a little closer beyond the image.

With lyrics “Don’t let these false eyelashes lead you to believe that I’m as shallow as I look / ‘Cause I run true and deep”, it quickly points out that she is not just a blonde bombshell, but also a lauded songwriter, and singer.

Another selling point of Dolly’s is that she tells stories so well through her songs. A fine example of this is the poignant ballad, 'Cologne', in which Dolly assumes the role of the other woman in an extra-marital affair. It tells the story of her having to quit perfume, so as not to leave the scene on her man when he returns to his wife.

Even with songs she hasn’t written, Dolly has an uncanny way of interpreting a song, and turning it into her own. Of the few songs that she didn’t write on this album, only one stands out. While Drives Me Crazy, drives me crazy and 'The Tracks of My Tears' is a good attempt, it is Jesus and Gravity that really shines through. Definitely one of my favorites on this album, it is inspirational to say the least.

Backwoods Barbie is a return to commercial country from Ms Parton, and one that should not be missed.

Tracks that stand out: Shinola, Jesus and Gravity, Backwoods Barbie, I Will Forever Hates Roses.

Buy Backwoods Barbie

Official Site

No comments: