Saturday, May 10, 2008

AC/DC-Back In Black

I was first introduced to AC/DC, also known as Acca Dacca, when I was about 10, and my older brother was going through his heavy metal stage. It was a stage that lasted right up until he was 28 before he gave it all up for marriage. In that time he introduced to many wonderful bands including the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, WASP and many more. Bands that still hold a dear place in my heart.

To me, Back In Black is a fine return to form from one of the best exports to come out of Scotland and Australia. Still a favourite of mine, it would be an incredible waste not to review this record.

AC/DC-Back in black
Record Label: EMI
Year: 1980
Track listing:
01. hell’s bells
02. shoot to thrill
03. what do you do for money honey
04. giving the dog a bone
05. let me put my love into you
06. back in black
07. you shook me all night long
08. have a drink on me
09. shake a leg
10. rock n roll ain’t noise pollution


Not counting Bon Scott albums, this is my all-time favorite AC/DC album. Introducing Brian Johnson for the first time, it is AC/DC, simply at their best and to me, one of their heaviest.
No one thought Bonn Scott would be easily replaced, and this album is a testament that Brian Johnson was indeed suited to take the throne. Many believed that this album was ridiculously loud, filled with songs about sex and booze, and of course it was. But, what most people forgot, in their complaining about Brian Johnson as a replacement was, that this was exactly what AC/DC were about. Blistering riffs, songs about sex, rock n roll and booze. A metal band’s main meal ticket.

What they forget to mention is Brian Johnson’s amazing vocal power that only is rivaled by the monster that is Angus Young on guitar. The lyrics to the songs are simple, but their meaning very clear. The album is masculine, and screams the desires that all men have for sex, rock n roll and booze. But it’s not just that. It’s great tunes, and an intro that still gets me every time. The opening of the bells tolling and the end of the bells tolling, just sends shivers down my spine.
Of course, everyone had a good whine about hell’s bells when it came out, saying that the band was satanic and devil worshipping. The song, to me, is one of the real gems. It’s blistering riffs, combined with Johnson’s vocal power just blow me away every time I hear it. It’s still one of my all time favorite songs.

The album just has this powerful force about it that you don’t see in many metal albums these days. It’s almost savage in it’s sound, yet the production of this album was very simple.

One of the things I love about this album is that there is almost a blues theme to some of the tracks. This is none more evident than the title track back in black, the music heavily influenced by Angus’ love for blues. It’s a good way for AC/DC to go.

Another favorite of mine is you shook me all night long. From the starting riffs to the end, this song oozes pure sex, but there is something magical about it. It has a toe tapping effect to it, and is anthem all on it’s own.
The Young Brothers really worked their magic on this album, and to me, if you are going to get any AC/DC album, past the Scott era, this is the one to have.

I give this album 5/5

You can buy this here
AC/DC's official website

No comments: