Saturday, May 10, 2008

Chely Wright-Everything

Record Label: painted red music
Year: 2004

Track listing:
01. bumper of my SUV


02. back of the bottom drawer
03. everything
04. love lets go
05. sex, drugs and rock n roll
06. if I were Jackie
07. scars



This is more of an EP than a CD, and has a couple of tracks from her album, The Metropolitan Hotel.
Personally, I think it is more for fans of
Chely Wright than first time listeners. If you’re looking to hear Chely Wright at her best listen to single white female. I will say this though, I do love this CD simply because it does come across as so raw and Chely Wright unpolished.


The shiners on this EP are sex, drugs and rock n roll, which must seem like a weird song for a country singer to sing, until you discover it is about missing out on those vices.

If I were Jackie, sees Chely scolding a dead President over his alleged affair with sex kitten Marilyn Monroe. It is hilarious in the aspect of how much times have changed.


It seems fitting that the album be titled Everything, as it is very much a ballady album, and since the track everything, is an amazing power ballad it suits the album title.


My all-time favourite tracks are the first two, bumper of my SUV, and back of the bottom drawer. They really show Chely at her best, and are a glimpse of the brilliance that was metropolitan hotel. A must have in your CD collection, and I am glad I bought it.


I give it 4/5

No comments: