Saturday, May 10, 2008

Billy Currington-Billy Currington

Year: 2003
Track listing:
01. I got a feelin
02. That’s just me
03. Hangin around
04. Off my rocker
05. Walk a little straighter daddy
06. Where the girls are
07. Time with you
08. When she gets close to me
09. Growin up down there
10. Next time
11. Ain’t what it used to be



I have loved Billy Currington from the first moment I heard him sing with Shania Twain on the country version of Party for Two, from her Greatest Hits.



At the time I didn't know who he was, and it was a couple of years later that I was reintroduced to his music with the track Good Directions. Yet again, I was hooked, and went out to find some of his music.
One of the things I like about Billy Currington, is that although he tends to sing traditional country, and he has this smooth, velvety voice that just flows with everyone of his songs. I’m one of those people who can listen to an artist and just fall in love with his voice alone, and this album did it for me.
The track, Off My Rocker, in particularly is a favourite of mine.
It’s one of those tongue in cheek songs that he does well, but one that always makes me smile.Well written, there is a mixture if poignant songs, to rollicky country songs, to the traditional songs about his hometown.
Another favourite of mine is Walk A Little Straighter Daddy, which is a poignant song about a child dealing with an alcoholic parent.
I don’t think anyone could resist Currington, whether they are young country fans or an older generation. But definitely check this debut album out. And if you like this one, then you’re going to be hooked on the next one.
Tracks not to be missed: must have been off my rocker, walk a little straighter daddy, where the girls are, aint what it used to be.
I give this album 4/5

No comments: