Saturday, May 10, 2008

Eric Church-Sinners Like Me

Year: 2006
Record Label: Liberty
Track listing:
01. before she does
02. sinners like me
03. how bout you
04. these boots
05. what I almost was
06. the hard way
07. guys like me
08. lightning
09. can’t take it with you
10. pledge allegiance to the Hag (featuring Merle Haggard)
11. 2 pink lines
12. livin part of life


If there were ever a perfect country album that came out of 2006, then this would have to be it. I got this album after hearing the song, Guys Like Me, and was hooked instantly on this singer.

Newcomer
Eric Church is doing what a lot of the many newcomers seem to be doing these days, singing traditional country songs, and mixing the new with the old. And when I mean mixing the new with the old, I mean showing their admiration for the country legends before them.
That is no more evident on one of Church’s tracks, I Pledge Allegiance To The Hag, which is a dedication to the talents of Merle Haggard and features the man himself. The amusing thing about Merle Haggard featuring on this track is, that the song holds it own, without him.
And as much as I love the likes of Faith Hill, Shania Twain and the Dixie Chicks, the likes of Owen, Currington, Atkins and now Church bringing back the traditional sounds of country music back is one that puts a smile on my face.

Church either wrote or co-wrote all the twelve tracks on his album, and this album is evidence that we should definitely sit up and pay attention to what’s going to happen with this country singer.While it has the traditional country songs, that show pride in the blue-collar, and a love of the red, white and blue that is reminiscent of Charlie Daniels, Church is no redneck.
His songs also speak of politics, and ‘lightning’, one of the most poignant tracks on the album, is evident of that. It’s a song that saddened me from the first time I heard it, and is definitely worth listening to.
Nor does he shy away from the topic of casual sex and unexpected pregnancies from “two pink lines”.

This whole album is a goody of surprises, and I’m definitely a fan from the first track to the last.
To be honest, there is not one track on this album that I could not listen to over and over again.

It’s filled with honest tracks that many people could relate to, whether it be what I almost was, a song about the path he didn’t take and was glad for, or any other.

Tracks not to be missed: how bout you, what I almost was, guys like me, lightning, pledge allegiance to the hag, 2 pink lines, and livin part of life.

I give this album 5/5

Eric Church's official site

No comments: